Policing is one of the most exciting and interesting careers imaginable. You require a wide range of skills and qualities with a huge amount of dedication. There are challenges, experiences and rewards that you would not expect. The job satisfaction cannot be compared to any other job. If you have what it takes London Policing College (LPC) can help you to develop the essential skills and competencies to make you a success. If you are looking to develop your capability to improve policing and to make your local community safer, we have a range of options to help. LPC can assist you if your interests are in forensic science, investigations community problem solving, partnership, leadership and management as well as numerous other subject areas.
People have different learning styles with different backgrounds and aspirations. We can provide bespoke advice and 1-2-1 coaching to prepare for lateral development or promotion. LPC developed programmes have a range of services from promotion classes through to self-development and coaching. LPC provides support for specific promotion exercises from PC to mid and senior levels as well as for lateral development into the specialism of your choice.
LPC can assist you in making the right career choices where you can make the biggest impact on policing which fits into your lifestyle as we offer part-time and full-time courses. We have excellent development programmes that will identify and build on the skills you already have highlighting any areas to concentrate on.
Our approach to learning is based on active and social learning principles. We have been operating since 2010 and have built a wealth of experience. We believe that learning is most effective when it is centred on what you do and enjoy in your working environment. Our courses are based on these principles and in the belief that work, learning and life should be social activities where you build relationships and trust in colleagues to take you through your career. LPC offers a suite of opportunities including;
- Short courses – LPC have over 75 courses on every aspect of policing enabling the development of basic skills through to the most complex capabilities.
- Bespoke and specialist opportunities – tailored to you and for you. These include part time, distance learning and full-time courses available throughout the year.
- Networking – As part of the Alumni of the LPC you will be connected to the network of previous students.
- Conferencing attendance and workshops – LPC design and deliver conferences that would be relevant and beneficial for continuous professional development and those interested in a career in policing.
- Active learning sets and a support/advice mechanism – The core of all London Policing Programmes is action learning. The LPC team create the environment for you to flourish and make best use of your colleagues and peers insights.
- Through the University of West London (UWL) the London Policing College(LPC) delivers programmes leading to degree and post graduate qualifications. These are flexible, accessible, career orientated and of real value in the policing industry.
If you are a police officer, or professional working in community safety our programmes will be invaluable as you develop the skills, knowledge and capabilities to become more effective in the policing sphere.
We work closely with colleagues from Metropolitan Police Service in London, the National Crime Agency and several non-governmental organisations to ensure that our programmes remain appropriate and relevant. Our robust quality assurance process involves feedback, updates associated with legislative and process changes and the integration of the latest evidence on what is effective.
Through our unique partnerships we can access latest developments in specialisms such as;
- Civil Protection and Emergency Management – LPC has links to the Emergency Planning College and the College of Policing actively supporting development of national policy in these areas.
- Missing people – working with Lowland Search and Rescue (London) research and development projects.
- Domestic abuse – supporting a major domestic abuse programme with the University of West London
- Youth development – LPC supports UWL research into gang associations and gang violence
- LPC is connected to a range of research projects led by the Scottish Independent Police research group
- Developments into Police Education – LPC leads a major international research project into police education and supports the College of Policing in its implementation of the Police Education Qualification Framework (PEQF)
These exciting collaborations provide opportunities to study and learn from individuals considered world class experts. We have developed programmes to provide opportunities to work as a volunteer with our partner agencies. You can engage with current professionals, participate in cutting edge research to improve and develop policing, and ensure your learning is focussed on what is needed now and is future proofed.
Personalised development and learning
Next steps, how to achieve a goal or a dream job, or feel you have more to offer?
Consider coaching and/or mentoring.
Work with one of our qualified and experienced coaches, to empower and identify your strengths, develop in identified areas, become more effective and successful.
Considering promotion daunted by the process?
Access support and development opportunities to maximise success at assessment processes.
Programmes from Sergeant rank through to Senior Officers preparing for the Senior Police National Assessment Centre.
Create an effective social learning group using supported social media tools to prepare for success
As you enhance your knowledge base by learning new skills, the additional benefit of accessing higher education will provide you with a solid base of skills underpinned by academia. The impact will be evident throughout your career, whether its promotion or lateral development. It will focus your understanding of complex issues when dealing with operational issues or during promotion and selection processes. Increasing understanding that effective policing is more than being a good operational police officer, will enable society to function effectively for people to live in safety and security. The suite of courses available provide an extensive insight into the issues of crime and society from a pragmatic solution focus and will be useful to many careers.
|BSc (Hons) Policing
|BSc (Hons) Policing||
MSc Policing (Leadership and Management)
MSc Policing (Serious Crime Investigation)
MSc Policing (International Studies)
MSc Policing (Criminal and Forensic Psychology)
MSc Policing (Leadership and Management) Senior Leaders Apprenticeship
For further information and to apply go to https://www.uwl.ac.uk/course/undergraduate/policing?redirect=1&source=course%252Fpolicing-1%252F36178
Other Opportunities, Short Courses and Events
Insight Days – Throughout the year [Eventbrite]
Experience methods of teaching,
Gain a detailed knowledge of the delivery team
Visit the excellent facilities available within the university.
Volunteer Police Cadets (specific insight Days) – Throughout the year details are at << Eventbrite>> and they include:
Life at university
International intensive programmes (2 week duration) – These run in the spring, summer and Autumn details are at << Eventbrite>> and they include:
Travel across the UK including Scotland
Benefit from insights provided
Engage with international students
Short courses or masterclasses with world leading experts to shape and consider operational problems through the lens of experience and the latest best practice on what works. Eventbrite
One day Conferences in collaboration with the University of West London details are at << Eventbrite>> and they include:
Our current theme ‘Mapping the Landscape of Violence’
International Conference in Police Education